Come on in!

Hi, come on in! I am so glad you decided to stop by! Welcome to my little home on the web. It may not be much, but it's all mine. :-D I am constantly updating and redecorating, so come back often. But for now, scoot that stack of laundry over and have a seat. Can I get you something to drink? Ok, now that you're comfy (just push the cat off you if you don't want him on your lap), sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay.



9.02.2010

The Four Hour Errand

Well, today has been quite the day, let me tell you!  It started out like any other day, get up, get dressed, make breakfast, get kids up, dress kids, feed kids, change diapers, wash hands, etc., etc., etc.  At about 9:15 my hubby calls and asks if I could please bring back the movie we borrowed from his co-worker; he forgot it this morning. I decided that since we hadn't been out of the house in a few days that I would get an early start and drive around a few farms that I know of by hubby's workplace.  We looked at cows, and pastures, and pretty little farmhouses, and wound up at hubby's work right on time at 1:30pm.  While he sat with us on his break, he encouraged me to just go for a drive.  The hurricane headed for NC (be safe!) has created some lovely swells for Jacksonville beaches.  So, he suggested we pick up lunch on the way, head out to the beach, park and take some pictures (have I mentioned my current obsession with photography?).  I thought about it for a few minutes, and decided just to do it!  After all, my kids need fresh air as much as I do.  So, we left hubby, I got gas (or should I say fuel for the car), picked up some McDonald's, and realized my camera was at home.  Luckily we live 2 minutes from McDonald's, and while I was getting my camera I got their sippy's and a bottle for Lilly.  I called Brandonn and asked if there was any way he could get off work early and come with us (he's been working alot of overtime lately).  He said that he would ask, and call me back to let me know.  Now cell phones are not allowed at work but he can usually sneak off to the bathroom and call me really quick if it's important.  So, 2 o'clock came and went, no call.  Then 3 came and went, meanwhile I am headed to the beach, and am passing the exit for his workplace when I remembered the lady at McDonald's forgot to give me my ice water for sippy cups, and Lilly's bottle.  Ugh.  I enter "Fast Food" into the Garmin to see what's close by, and I find a Dairy Queen.  I take the next exit and drive all the way down the road, but I don't see a Dairy Queen.  At this point, the Garmin is telling me to turn around and go the other way.  I do.  Lo, and behold, all the way down the road in other direction, is the Dairy Queen.  However, luck was not on my side this time.  The Dairy Queen was attatched to the gas station, and had no drive-thru window.  I know it sounds petty of me to say that I threw a small tantrum and drove past it, but you try getting 3 babies/toddlers out of a car and into a store, pay for a drink, carry said drink out of store, hold on to your kids, AND make it back to the car -- all by yourself.  If you can do that without throwing a tantrum, then we defintely need to meet.  Or you're cheating. haha.  Back to the story, we were still close enough to home that I decided to drive back and get fill their sippy's and bottle, and try again.  It's 3:30 by this time, and I'm just realizing that the last time I changed diapers was just before we left (the first time) which was at 12:45, and they probably needed to be changed again.  I unbuckled seat belts, carried everyone in, changed diapers, filled sippy cups, made a bottle, and got everyone strapped back in when hubby pulled up.  We talked for a minute and realized our miscommunication.  Apparently, he said that he would try to call me, and I was to go on by myself if I didn't hear from him.  But what I heard, was that I was to go get my camera and food, and he would call me by the time I was finished doing that.  Anyway, he was due in class at 5pm, and didn't have time to go with us, so we said goodbye and pulled out.  Now, keep in mind that none of them have had naps, so everyone is whiny, and cranky.  My very large ninivan has never seemed so small to me as it did today.  I became claustrophobic.  I broke into a cold sweat.  No, I'm kidding......well......anyway.....  We drove out to the beach, pulled up to the park entrance, and were met with a kind old man who politely asked for $3.00 to get into the park.  I opened up my wallet.  As I stared into the abyss, I remembered using cash to pay for the McDonald's that I had just bought so that we could park at the beach and take pictures!  I apologized to the old man, turned around, and threw a little larger tantrum.  We arrived home at 5:20pm.
What started out as a simple errand to return a movie, turned into a 4 hour and 35 minute trip.
I am staying home tomorrow-"if God is willing and da creek don't rise!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart, what a day! I've had days like that - when the whole world seems to conspire together to keep you from getting anything done, in spite of your very best efforts. I think it makes it feel even worse when the thing you're trying to get to is supposed to be fun and relaxing - like your beach outing.

    But thankfully God uses even these major frustrations to teach us something. Your account of the day is really good-humored - kudos on that! That can be hard at the end of a bum day.

    Oh - and I say I "got gas" all the time, and I always feel ridiculous. "Fuel" is such a formal word. You crack me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And I want to see your photography sometime! Isn't it fun? I've really gotten out of it lately, which is sort of sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for caring enough to share!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..........

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter