Come on in!

Hi, come on in! I am so glad you decided to stop by! Welcome to my little home on the web. It may not be much, but it's all mine. :-D I am constantly updating and redecorating, so come back often. But for now, scoot that stack of laundry over and have a seat. Can I get you something to drink? Ok, now that you're comfy (just push the cat off you if you don't want him on your lap), sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay.



9.28.2010

Left out in the rain? Not really.

Why is it that we feel sometimes as though we have been left out in the rain, hung out to dry, and just simply forgotten about?  Why is it at times God seems so far away?  Is He really?? Does he leave us, or forget about us? I think we all know the answer to that question.  I think what really happens is that we forget about Him.  I do not think, however, that's it's just a simple case of forgetfulness.  I think that it is more likely to be that we forget about His Omnipresence.  I know that for myself, I tend to me a bit of a control freak, I come by it naturally mind you, but I like feeling that I am in control of my life.  I like to think that I make my own choices, and that my life has evolved into the wonderful way it flows now because of ME.  When I really look hard at my life though, I can see that all the puzzle peices that have fit together so wonderfully were placed by God, not by me.  I wonder sometimes about why we cannot seem to find a good church to become a part of, why we work so hard for so little financially, and a thousand other questions.  I feel at times as though God picked us up, dropped us in Jacksonville, Florida, and went away to take care of more pressing matters. 
    Now, just recently, my wonderful hubby gave me the perfect little gift for my birthday.  It's is a called, "A Woman's Walk with God: Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit" by Elizabeth George.  In her book she says, "You and I can enjoy a closer walk with God and bear much fruit as we surrender our lives to him."  Now, if you look up the word surrender in the dictionary, it says that to surrender is "to give up completely or agree to forego especially in favor of another", "to give up oneself into the power of another".  I also found in John 15:4,11 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."  "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."  So apparently, God wants us to give ourselves over to Him completely; to abide in him.  He tells us that we cannot bear fruit unless we abide in Him.  Elizabeth George explains that, "Such 'abiding' has been defined as 'continued fellowship with the Lord', 'dwelling in Hid fellowship and being submissive to His will', and keeping 'constant with Jesus...a constant contact."  Constant contact.....I suppose that means that I have to 'forget' about me being in control, because if I am abiding in Him, and surrendering myself to Him, then I am giving up control over my own life to Him.  In verse 11 He says, "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."  Amazingly, he wants us to obey this command not only for His glorification but also so that we may have joy!  He's not just saying, "I want you to be happy", he says that we He wants our joy to be FULL!  I realized as I studied this how frequently we are not only lacking full enjoyment in Him, but we are downright miserable!  Can you image being full of joy?
   So, to sum up my devotional experience this morning I realized two things; 1) That when I feel left out in the rain, it is because I have struggled with God to take the reins, and He temporarily allowed me to have them so that I might see where that path leads, in short; unpleasant places.  2) That while following the command to "abide" in Him, I am to be full of joy.  The Christian life is not to be a constant drudgery of strict adherence to 'outdated' rules, but a complete surrendering of oneself to God, and a full enjoyment of Him. 
    It will not be easy, but you know what they say, practice makes perfect! Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

Thanks for caring enough to share!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..........

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter